Saturday, November 14, 2009

Friday the 13th

So.
Tonight, I went out, 100% planning to go to a party and blow off steam. I haven't been out to a party in so long, and I was feeling like I deserved it, for whatever reason. Well...to make an embarrassing story short, I went to the party and it was closed and I called a friend inside but he denied me access...I was incredibly embarrassed. My cool fascade, my mask of perfect confidence, had suffered a severe blow. This seemed to be an irrecoverable offense against my status as a "cool" individual. I was wallowing, I will admit, in my self proclaimed embarrassment.

We crawled over to a friend's dorm to see what was happening...it was hot and smelly, and Kate and I left. It was what happened next that made me smile ear to ear. We were walking by the sports bar where the athletes of BU are known to hang out, and we saw the two hockey captains arguing with this random drunk guy about the color of a bracelet...what the heck?

The second piece was what made my night, what made the last minutes of my Friday the 13th incredibly unusual and truly special. Kate and I saw a girl crying in the hallway, and we were both thinking the same thing: how can we cheer her up? That's not fair for any girl on a Friday night, to be alone in her sadness. So we made up a pack of Twizzlers and jelly beans, and gave it to her...her friend had shown up, and thought we came to complain about the noise. We gave it to her with as little fuss as possible...in the end, I'm not trying to self glorify. If we hadn't come home early, we would not have seen that girl, not had a chance to do a small selfless act. Really, I went to the party for a selfish mean, and I got turned away in the best twist of fate. I hope we cheered her a bit. In the end, I think it did more for me than for her.

This day isn't unlucky at all.

No comments: