Sunday, September 12, 2010

Redefine: Romance

I sip my tea slowly and deliberately.
My first thought: I loathe the word sip. It is an ugly syllable full of hissing and an wishy-washy consonant.
My tea is too hot to drink though, so "sip" will have to suffice.
I'm staring out the window at the cloudy day in front of me, myself a bubble of contentment inside my cozy bubble of my bed and my comforters and my pillows and my warmth.
And, I am alone. Romantically, alone.

Romance: the last definition of the word, in the dictionary, is about love. The others? About fairytales and a world of excitement and strong beauty.
My definition...is none of these. Romance is mystery, whimsy. spontaneity, and contentment. This place, with its perfect breeze and large windows and whispers of my past... it is romance, as much as my beautiful ocean place is romance.


Life is busy. Life is hectic and dizzying and often chaos. Simplicity can no longer bring pleasure for so many, because..we are too stimulated to appreciate the basics.
Honestly, though? Simplicity is my greatest pleasure. I couldn't be happier than when I feel the touch of someone I love, or am able to sit and clear my mind so that latent thoughts can rush in with this beautiful breeze.

Yesterday, I was granted the amazing luxury of a romantic and beautiful day. Was it spent with a beau? No, not at all, but it was romantic. I was able to take my time getting from place to place. I was able to eat things that had no nutritional value, but put a smile on my face. I was given the gift of intelligent, meaningful conversation in the most unusual places, real connection. I was given tender touches, perfect sunlight, and definite acceptance. Even the moments when things that are deeply rooted in the "things that hurt" part of my soul were brought up, I felt safe in my friends, and I walked away content.
Romance is the power to be perfectly content, for a little while. Everything makes sense for a moment, and if it doesn't, it doesn't matter. Romance is freedom from everything that restrains ourselves from being completely unique and quirky, as we really are. It is the freedom to contemplate, or not to think at all.

I think my perfect day will be lifting my spirits up for some time.

No comments: