Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Admitting my Fears: Part 1 in a Series

Yes, I'm fearful. I'm not talking fears like...fear of deadly spider attacks. I fear that, no doubt, but I am talking about deep emotional fears that get to the core of who I am and shape me as a person.

Last night, I was forced to face one of my fears: that of marrying someone as awful as my father. My mom didn't marry an abusive man; rather, she had no idea what she was getting herself into, and was stuck after that. I never want my life to be ruined by the oppressive influence of someone else, and my strong feelings on that have made me into a person that doesn't trust easily.

So, fear 1: being with someone abusive, manipulative, awful. Psychology tells us that women marry their fathers. May that never, ever be me.

No comments: