Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Zen of Money

I'm starting a new blog that I am really excited about, called
studentfinancialservices.blogspot.com

It will consist of contributions from students that I know and that I don't know, sharing their financial struggles in getting through college. I am trying to both expand upon and break the college stereotype of the "broke college student". College culture, as it is often changing, is quite underground, and I think exposing the financial aspect is both appropriate to our current world and important. College kids owe it to themselves to show everyone else that they really live up to being the smartest people, the most current, the most advanced, yet we struggle like everyone else too. For many of us, college is not a bubble.

The blog is a creative outlet for people to share their frustration, delight, anger, and opinions about the thing we both love and hate: money. College is a time of very low income and very high expense, and it's vital that the world see that we are nowhere near oblivious, carefree, or unburdened about the source of our tuition.

This comes directly out of personal struggle. I may have to leave the school I have fallen in love with, to be educated somewhere more affordable. College flies in 4 years, and having to be a freshman all over again will be a burden I do not look forward to. I know that I will be happy where I end up...but money, and the problems it may bring, have been shoved into my face as of late, and this seemed the most constructive way to use my English major and rid myself of frustration. I already feel at more at peace as the blog launches. Updates, coming soon.

No comments: