Monday, October 11, 2010

Streetlamp Ghosts

Missing people. That’s the worst. It’s like…loving and losing, without the closure of just losing. They’re there, right in front of you, but you can’t reach them. Someone checked out or just isn’t right, or right there, and there you are, wandering about the parking lot of the closest building, letting the rain soak your hair and wash your eyelashes as you close your eyes to the dull ache, the ache that used to be pain, the pain of not-losing. That parking lot was full of memories and empty of what could be real.

I miss so many. I miss how you make me laugh, how you make me feel like a shinier version of myself, you made me feel so accepted. All of you, you had to leave, because of life and distance and wherever the path was taking you. It’s nights like this that make me remember it all, and make me wish the ghosts of all of you would stop dancing around me in the mist, beckoning. I wanted these ghosts to disappear, and I wanted to be overwhelmed by all of you really and truly being there, surrounding me, crushing me with your reality and presence. That’s all I want. All I want is everything, all I want is the impossible: to go back to what was, freeze that moment in time, and stagnate joyfully.

I can feel myself reaching out. Some of your ghosts are so real. I have just lost you, and you. Come back, my fingertips whisper, as they brush the dampness and the air. Life is to fall in love with things that will never last, because nothing is yours forever. We search for forever, desperately, but it will never be ours to have. Forever is the greatest fantasy, your ghosts tell me, with laughing eyes and mockery turning your smiles into crushing sneers.

My boot hits the ground with a sharp thud as I come back to what this really is, stepping back. This is just a stormy night, I am just by myself, and this is just an empty parking lot. Each of these spaces had cars, filled with people who fled this place of stark loneliness, to their reality of people. People who are real and now, their fleeting forevers. They didn’t want this place, and as much as my heart yearns for each of your ghosts to become real and embrace me right now…I also am aware of the light in my current reality. I have forevers, too.

I walk out of this parking lot, this dark space, it’s one yellowed light leading me to my path, my path to forever. I was allowed a step back, and a step back reminded me to live in my present. Maybe, one of these ghosts will come back to me. For now, I must preserve my life for what is here and alive.

Thud, thud, thud. My footfalls and my heartbeat. Alive.

No comments: