Sunday, June 6, 2010

Snap

Sassiness. Being sassy. A trademark of who I am is that I am witty, or sarcastic, or funny, but whatever it is exactly, it can all be boiled down to one simple word: sassy. My sense of humor can be biting at times, but people seem to love it, and what I am finding now is an interesting phenomenon: I'm getting that sassy given back to me. Now that it's summer, my friends have fallen into one of two camps: Women's Center ladies, and my guy friends. Yesterday was a day spent solely with the opposite sex, which generally suits me, as I can be as sassy as I want without the risk of hurting anyone's feelings. What always takes me be surprise is how quickly guys start giving it back to me, even after I've known them for...not long at all. Sometimes I fear that this is my undue influence, but I actually think that most intelligent men are naturally witty with a biting edge. Guys are raised to be the "funny ones", to entertain women, but they are never nice to each other. When they find a girl who can joke around like one of the boys, they are pretty quick to embrace that, and I love my friendships for what they are. I love being able to joke around and being one of them, instead of being treated like some fragile object, as many boys will act towards girls. I HATE being treated differently than any other friend, even though gender differences are often unavoidable.
I'm rambling. Here's my point. I've always wondered why so many guys I know feel so comfortable in biting, witty humor towards me after 10 minutes of knowing me. A friend says it simply like this: "We are just testing our boundaries, how far you will let us go with you." I've experienced a lot of wit in the past few weeks from new friends and even co workers, and I certainly don't mind it, even if it might be often unexpected. The ability to have a quick wit is a great mark of intelligence, in my opinion, and I am always excited when someone can keep up with me.
Did you follow? Don't hurt yourself ;)
Life is better with a wink thrown in.

No comments: